Thursday, July 7, 2011

30 before 30: Food Truck

So I have to say this was the thing most people expressed surprise over. I got a lot of “You’ve never eaten at a food truck?”. Well this wednesday night I had my first food truck experience. For those of you who don’t live in a large metropolitan area these food distributors are no longer called roach coaches, but gourmet food trucks.

Chris and I headed to Jones Coffee Roasters on South Raymond St in Pasadena for Wheel Food Wednesday! As we walked into the parking lot where the trucks were set up the smell was amazing. There were 3 food trucks, Border Grill, No Tomatoes and Slammin' Sliders. There was also a live band a vintage clothing booth and 2 food carts.

We started at the Border Grill truck, after watching food get handed down from the small window I finally settled on Ceviche and a Corn Tamale. The ceviche was perfect for the sweltering day that had finally ended. Cool, lemony and a little sweet from the shrimp it was wonderful. The Tamale was creamy, sweet from the corn and just a little spicy. All I can say is YUM!

Jones Coffee Roasters serves coffee as well as soda and water. I got an italian soda made from Peligrino and Granny Smith Apple Syrup. SO GOOD! Tangy and sweet it was a great compliment to the food.

Next I got some pulled pork sliders from Slamming Sliders. There were so many grilled onions on top I wasn’t sure I had gotten any pork on my slider. :) It was absolutely delicious. I was thrilled with real BBQ flavor, no liquid smoke here, and the onions were grilled to being sweet with a little crunch left in them.

We finished with a bag of Samosas from the No Tomatoes truck. Perfectly spiced with layers of flavor and dough that was firm but not over cooked. It was a wonderful way to end the meal.

Having greatly enjoyed eating from these mobile dispensaries of deliciousness I will be returning to Wheel Food Wednesdays and as many other food trucks as I can find!

No comments:

Post a Comment